The borough, which was created in 1990, got its name from the Zeeburgerdijk (Zeeburg dike) and the Zeeburgereiland (Zeeburg island) which lie in the centre of the borough. The Zeeburgerdijk is named after the fort ‘Seeburg’ which in the 17th century was part of the dike that protected land from the Zuiderzee. This dike connected Amsterdam and Muiden and was the only land route to Naarden before the Watergraafsmeer was drained. From the end of the 19th century, with the construction of the Oostelijk Havengebied (Eastern Harbour) and the residential Indische Buurt, the area has slowly become part of the city. For the 1928 Summer Olympics, its shooting range was used for the shooting part of the modern pentathlon events.
Showing posts from November 11, 2014